Chesapeake Bay & Brookside Candles Nightmares...NEVER again!

Today I decided to talk about a couple of horrible candle experiences that I had this month.  Chesapeake Bay Fig & Pomegranate 16 oz and Brookside Candle Vineyard Retreat 18 oz.  I purchased both of these candles for $7.99 at Marshall's.

Let me be clear.... I will never purchase either of these candles again!  
Continue reading to find out why.





Lets's start with Chesapeake Bay Fig & Pomegranate.  On cold sniff, this candle smelled amazing.  It was juicy & fruity & a great transitional scent into fall.  You could really smell the Pomegranate.  It was tart with just the right amount of sweetness given by the fig.  I actually loved it & was very excited about burning it.  My excitement changed when I started burning it.  This candle lived in foil. It wouldn't pool out on it's own no matter how many hours I had it lit.  It tunneled like nobody's business & the soot was ridiculous!  Ironically, the scent throw was pretty good.  I would rate it a good Medium & the scent burned was beautiful!  It stayed true to the cold scent which I loved.   The soy wax took forever to finish up & left major wax residue on the sides UGHHHHH.  It had major puny wicks throughout its life & literally took over a month to finish it up.  I had this thing going over 8 hours each day & I thought it would never end!  Please tell me why do the candles you hate take the longest to finish?  lol

Grade: F

Next up is Brookside Candles Vineyard Retreat.  Made of paraffin wax.  This candle started out extremely well.  The first 3 burns it pooled out within 2 hours of lighting it.  The scent throw was a 9 and the scent was heavenly.  It smelled like grape soda & that's what I loved about it.  I was so excited because not only was this a cheap candle but it was burning great and throwing like a Boss!  Well... my excitement didn't last.  By the 4th burn, this candle was no longer throwing!  I had to be right up over it to smell anything.  It was tunneling like crazy & the soot was ridiculous!  I had to keep it foiled for the rest of the burn and the flames were super high.  It was so much maintenance that I almost threw it away.  But, I persevered thru.  I was physically exhausted by the time these 2 candles were thru as I was burning them together.  

Grade:  D- (Gave points because it did well in the beginning).
I decided start a series of "Never Again". That way all of my bad experiences will be in one place for easy access.

Have you burned either of these candles?  If so, what was your experience?  







1 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a Brookside candle, also. It is Birthday Cake scented. Been buring it for a few weeks, smells great but has bad tunneling also. So it's easy to say it will probably spend the rest of it's life in aluminum foil.

Post a Comment


up